Bronze at British Museum may be loot

Drum stand now owned by Shanghai Museum but origins unclear

LONDON. The centrepiece of the Chinese bronzes exhibition, “Treasures from Shanghai”, at London’s British Museum appears to have been illegally excavated within the past few years. However, it is now legitimately the property of the Shanghai Museum. The British Museum show is the first time the bronze has been exhibited.

Dating from 770-476 BC, the drum stand is decorated with three intertwined dragons. It probably comes from the tomb of a ruler, from a site that is unknown to archaeologists, possibly in Shanxi Province. Other important finds, such as musical instruments, may well have been looted from the tomb.

Shanghai curator Zhou Ya points out that the example on loan is “unlike anything else known from China”. Only six other bronze drum stands are known: five were excavated by archaeologists between 1978 and 2002 and one was acquired by other means (now in the Poly Art Museum, Beijing).

The Shanghai Museum has not given details of when and how the drum stand on show in London was acquired. In China, major antiquities from illicit sources are sometimes bought by the authorities for museums, to prevent them being smuggled abroad. However, there are concerns that this encourages illicit digging.

It is unclear whether the drum stand falls within the British Museum’s guidelines. Its loans policy, approved last September, states that the museum will “not lend to any exhibition which includes objects that have been...illegally excavated” and in requesting loans it observes “the same principles”. However, it could be argued that the fact that the Shanghai Museum now owns the item overrides these considerations.

Nevertheless, concern has been expressed over the loan. Archaeologist Professor Colin Renfrew, a British Museum trustee until 2001, said last month that “a little more due diligence in this case might have been useful”.

A British Museum spokes­woman stressed that the drum stand is “incontestably a Chinese object, it left with Chinese government approval, and the loan was approved by the Cultural Relics Bureau”, and “we feel it is important to allow the public access to this wonderful object”. The museum said that it is “not aware that the object was illegally excavated”. However, it does “deplore illegal excavation and the loss of archaeological context”. “Treasures from Shanghai” runs until 27 March.

More from The Art Newspaper

Comments

10 Jan 12
15:19 CET

VINCENT LAO, MANILA

So what else is new? Much of the British Museum's display are loots from Asia or Africa anyway.

12 Dec 10
16:46 CET

SARAH, HOUSTON

I can't imagine this being "stolen"..however if it was it should probably be returned to where it came from, originally. (not the person who stole it..haha). I wish we were closer to see this display! -Sarah http://www.sundustgallery.com

21 Jun 10
15:7 CET

JUSTIN LIUQ, TORONTO CA

Why is this an issue when clearly the British museum's entire China collection is looted by soldiers during the opium wars. Not to mention the rosetta stone and elgin marble.

Submit a comment

All comments are moderated. If you would like your comment to be approved, please use your real name, not a pseudonym. We ask for your email address in case we wish to contact you - it will not be made public and we do not use it for any other purpose.

Email*
 
Name*
 
City*
 
Comment*
 

Want to write a longer comment to this article? Email letters@theartnewspaper.com

 

Share this