Head of Education
By The Art Newspaper. [UNDEFINED]
The Serralves Foundation is a European cultural institution serving the national community, whose mission is to raise the general public's awareness concerning contemporary art and the environment. The Foundation pursues its mission via the Museum of Contemporary Art as a multi-disciplinary centre, the Park as a natural heritage site ideally suited for environmental education and the Auditorium as a centre for reflection and debate on issues facing contemporary society.
The main objective of the Serralves Foundation’s Education Department is to raise awareness and engage the general public in the fields of art, architecture, environment and citizenship.
The Head of Education for Serralves Museum is responsible for defining the strategic vision and ensuring the delivery for the museum´s education and audience outreach programs. The Head of Education for the Museum reports to the Director of the Museum and forms part of the senior co-ordination team of the Serralves Foundation working in collaboration with the Head of Education Department for Serralves Park.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Defining the strategic vision and objectives for the Education Department of the Museum and ensuring the delivery for the museum´s education and audience outreach programs;
- Leading the museum´s education department in the production and delivery of education programs relating to the museum´s contemporary exhibitions, collection-based activities, and learning programs for children, families, adults and young people;
- Building relationships and developing partnerships with schools, local authorities, universities and research institutes, and other organizations, in order to further the educational mission of the Serralves Museum and Foundation;
- Working with the Head of Education for Serralves Park in developing collaborative opportunities that exploit the singular context of the Serralves Museum, Park, including Casa Serralves and promote greater understanding of art and its environment;
- Working with the Exhibitions, Performing Arts and programming teams of Serralves to develop related programs for audience outreach and engagement, including public programs, conversation events, and symposia;
- Working with artists and curators in the development of audience outreach programs associated with exhibitions and collection displays at Serralves Museum;
- Leading the education department in the development of supports in print and digital media for exhibitions and related programs so as to foster a better understanding of artistic content;
- Promoting collaborative working practices and professional development opportunities for the museum education team;
- Coordinating activities related to the preparation of budgets and funding applications, and preparing strategic plans, presentation dossiers and related progress reports for management, funders, sponsors and other stakeholders of the Serralves Museum and Foundation;
- Representing the Serralves Museum and Foundation locally, nationally and internationally through presentations at conferences, seminars and other museum-education related events, interviews on radio and television and other media;
- A minimum of 5 years experience of working in education in a museum or arts institution
- Knowledge of contemporary art and experience of working with artists
- Demonstrable experience of managing a team and budgets
- Demonstrable writing and presentation skills
- Fluent Portuguese
- Fluent English
- Other European languages desirable
Deadline: Until 17th March 2013, through our website www.serralves.pt
Content: letter of presentation + Europass CV with photo
If not contacted until the 31st March 2013 the application has not been considered.
It is anticipated that the interviews will take place until mid-April.
Submit a comment
All comments are moderated. If you would like your comment to be approved, please use your real name, not a pseudonym. We ask for your email address in case we wish to contact you - it will not be
made public and we do not use it for any other purpose.
Want to write a longer comment to this article? Email email@example.com