Kiev sculpture biennial postponed until 2015
Another exhibition falls victim to the political situation in Ukraine
By Sophia Kishkovsky. Web only
Published online: 08 April 2014
The second edition of the Kyiv Sculpture Project, a biennial exhibition of works in Kiev’s botanical garden due to open in May, has been postponed until 2015 its organisers announced on Monday.
“It's not the right time; the agenda changed dramatically in Kiev,” Volodymyr Kadygrob, the director of the project, told The Art Newspaper by email. Tensions have been mounting over pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine and “potential aggression from Russia is quite high”, Kadygrob said, which “makes it quite difficult to organise an international project on the same level that it was planned”.
Instead, the organisers said that there will be “an educational project dedicated to public art and the development of urban spaces” this year.
The finalists for the biennial’s main prize (last year’s award was €6,000) have already been chosen, however. From a pool of around 200 applicants, the shortlist includes international artists as well as those from Ukraine. They are: Flavio Cerqueira, Valerian Gagnaire, Pawel Kowzan, and Oscar Abraham, the Open Group, Beata Korn, Sasha Kurmaz, Katya Libkind and Viktor Sidakov.
Helen Pheby, the senior curator of England’s Yorkshire Sculpture Park is the curator of the biennial’s special project, which will bring contemporary British sculpture to Kiev, Kadygrob said.
In February, the organisers of the Second Kyiv Biennale of Contemporary Art announced that show would also be postponed until 2015.
Submit a comment
All comments are moderated. If you would like your comment to be approved, please use your real name, not a pseudonym. We ask for your email address in case we wish to contact you - it will not be
made public and we do not use it for any other purpose.
Want to write a longer comment to this article? Email firstname.lastname@example.org