Modern Contemporary Art - Middle East, North Africa, and Turkey
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, one of the world’s finest museums, seeks an Associate Curator who will be required to be a specialist in twentieth and twenty-first century art of the Middle East, North Africa, and Turkey. S/he will be responsible for all curatorial duties, including: researching, studying, and publishing works in the collection in her/his area of expertise, recommending acquisitions, proposing future exhibitions and publications for the Metropolitan Museum and the Breuer project.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Lead scholarly research on and interpretation of objects under her/his curatorial responsibility;
• Participate in departmental assessment and acquisition initiatives;
• Plan, research and execute exhibitions in cooperation with colleagues in the department and across the museum;
• Propose and contribute to Museum publications, including catalogue essays and entries, as well as other printed and online texts;
• Answer correspondence relating to the Collection in her/his field of expertise; assist the public and visiting scholars;
• Contribute to the Museum's public and educational programs (Learning, Volunteers, Digital Media, etc.);
• Foster and maintain excellent working relationships with donors, patrons, collectors, dealers, colleagues from other international institutions, and the scholarly community;
• Assist with departmental fundraising as appropriate;
• Assist with programs for departmental friends groups, The Modern Circle and Visiting Committee;
• Other related duties.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Minimum eight years of experience in a museum or academic institution;
• Demonstrated scholarly achievement including evidence of original research;
• Proven experience initiating and executing major loan exhibitions;
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with colleagues across the museum and externally with artists, academics and scholars, donors, and the general public;
• Ability to create and maintain precise records;
• Demonstrated commitment to broad international engagement and learning;
• Demonstrated engagement with artistic practice across the world.
Knowledge and Education:
• PhD (or equivalent) in history of art;
• Deep expertise in twentieth and twenty-first century art of the Middle East, North Africa, and Turkey required;
• Excellent written and spoken English;
• Fluency in a second language preferred.
Application Deadline: September 12, 2014, 6pm
The Associate Curator, Middle East, North Africa and Turkey, is a full-time position and includes full benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Send cover letter, indicating position of interest, resume, and salary history to:
as a Word attachment only
with “Associate Curator/Middle East, North Africa, & Turkey” in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: 12 Sep 14