Arms and Armor
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, one of the world’s finest museums, seeks an Assistant Curator, Arms and Armor, specializing in either European or Islamic arms and armor, who will actively participate in the care and management of the collection and support and contribute to all activities of the Department, including cataloguing, research, publications, installations, special exhibitions, acquisitions, and loans.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Research and catalogue coherent sections of the collection, and assist in creating, updating, and reviewing standards and object records in the collections database (TMS);
• Participate in the organization of permanent gallery exhibits, including the planning, coordination, and oversight of rotations, label writing, and related maintenance of collections database;
• Assist with the development of onsite and online initiatives and contents to enhance the visibility of and access to the collection;
• Publish research on the collection and contribute to the teaching mission of the Museum through public lectures, docent training, and mentorship of volunteers, interns, and fellows;
• Assist the Department Head in fostering and maintaining relationships with donors, trustees, and colleagues from other institutions in the U.S. and abroad, and with dealers and collectors;
• Develop programs and reports for the Visiting Committee and friends of the Department;
• Answer inquiries relating to the collection and assist the public and visiting scholars;
• Other related duties.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Demonstrated scholarly achievement and experience in accomplishing original research on either European or Islamic arms and armor or related material, required;
• Experience in working with objects and their cataloguing, required;
• Two or more years’ experience in a museum or academic institution, preferred;
• Strong computer skills, required;
• Great intellectual rigor and curiosity, required;
• Ability to maintain precise and careful records, required;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, required;
• Ability to work closely with all staff within the Department and with colleagues throughout the Museum; required; as well as with the academic community, preferred.
Knowledge and Education:
• M.A. or equivalent degree in art history or history, required; Ph.D. preferred;
• Complete fluency in English, and good reading knowledge of German and one or more Romance languages; or good working knowledge of Arabic, Turkish, and Farsi.
Application Deadline: Until Filled.
The Assistant Curator, Arms and Armor, is a full-time position and includes full benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Send cover letter, indicating position of interest, resume, and salary history to:
as a Word attachment only
with “Assistant Curator/Arms and Armor” in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: 31 Dec 14