About The Art Newspaper
For more than 30 years, The Art Newspaper has been covering the world of art—and the world in which art happens. We write about all the latest developments, but also analyse the most significant events and trends, looking at how the international landscape of art and culture shapes—and is shaped—by politics, society, the economy, technology and the environment.
We serve an international audience, offering multi-channel access to breaking news, agenda-setting investigations and stimulating insights and opinion from around the globe.
With correspondents working in more than 30 countries, our expert, independent reporting makes us the most trusted resource for the art industry as well as for collectors, art advisers, policymakers, artists, museum professionals and those who enjoy visiting art fairs and exhibitions. The Art Newspaper benefits from being part of an international network of titles with editorial offices in London, New York, Paris, Turin, Athens, Moscow and Shanghai.
About the job
The Editor, Americas is responsible for all editorial output in or about the region of the Americas. They are the face of the brand in the region, maintaining excellent contacts with artists, galleries, museums, fairs, auction houses and event organisers. They work closely with other areas of the business, notably the digital, fairs and partnership teams, to ensure the delivery of appropriate content across the company’s portfolio of products.
- Work with the Editor to ensure that the regional editorial strategy dovetails with the overall editorial strategy for the brand and ensure the most efficient use of resources.
- Lead content creation in the Americas, including personally devising and executing high-profile pieces of content for TAN’s platforms.
- Work with the Deputy Editor to ensure that the regional editorial strategy meets the requirements of the digital editorial strategy and ensure the most efficient use of resources.
- Implement the editorial strategy for the region on an annual basis, engaging and securing appropriate internal and external resources to enable its successful delivery.
- Work with the Partnerships Editor to ensure the provision of suitable editorial resources for their portfolio, notably the US-based Fair Dailies.
- Work with key stakeholders to influence and understand the company’s growth ambitions in the region. Devise and implement editorial activities to support these as required.
- Manage the day-to-day work and activities of the US-based editorial team. Conduct appraisals as required, seeking input from other stakeholders. Carry out any recruitment as required.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a senior editorial position at a major art publication or on the arts desk of a national newspaper
- Leadership skills, including the ability to identify and recruit new talent, and manage and motivate staff
- Wide range of contacts in the art world, particularly in the major markets of the Americas
- Ability to work with key stakeholders, often at a senior level, across a wide range of different background and cultures
- Proactive approach, doesn’t wait to be asked but actively seeks and progresses opportunities as they arise
- Good understanding of key trends in the publishing industry across print and digital
This is a New York-based position. Interested candidates should send a CV with covering email explaining your suitability for the role and salary expectations to email@example.com.
The Art Newspaper is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an equitable workforce and promoting qualified persons regardless of race, gender, colour, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.