The Art Newspaper is looking for an experienced art industry journalist and editor to cover the current market editor’s maternity leave. This is a one-year, full-time contract, based in London, starting from early August 2023.
• To oversee The Art Newspaper’s comprehensive art market coverage both in print and online, from antiquities to NFTs, encompassing fairs, auctions, commercial galleries, topical issues impacting the art trade, legal disputes and relevant legislation.
• To closely follow online art news and work with the deputy art market editor to plan coverage online and in print
• Plan the layout and content of the market section in the monthly print edition. This involves overseeing the copy, images and design for at least six designated pages per month (this number may increase), ensuring they are completed within production deadlines.
• Writing art market news, analysis and feature articles (online and print)
• Commission and edit articles from freelance and in-house writers (online and print)
• Work with the web team on a daily basis to write, commission and post articles online for the daily email newsletter (including fast turnaround reports on major evening auctions)
• To be a key member of the team reporting at international art fairs where The Art Newspaper produces daily papers, for example Art Basel and Frieze London
• To develop and maintain a wide set of art industry contacts and writers
• Represent The Art Newspaper at events, auctions, fairs and press conferences, including in the evenings and at weekends
• Appear as a guest on The Week in Art podcast to discuss art market stories and events
• Take part in or moderate art-related panel discussions to represent The Art Newspaper
• Administrative duties as relevant to the post
Key skills and experience:
• Understanding of journalistic norms, ethics and professional practice
• Excellent news and analytical writing skills
• Ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Experience of using CMS software to write, edit and post articles online
• Good grasp of legal issues for journalists
• Excellent organisational skills
• Keeping abreast of art market news
• Excellent inter-personal skills, to deal effectively with colleagues and correspondents
• Good working knowledge of InDesign and basic Photoshop skills
• Excellent grammar and grasp of house style
The ideal candidates will have:
• Extensive knowledge of the art market and broader art world
• Extensive experience of writing and editing articles on the art market
• Minimum of five years’ experience in an editorial position at an art publication or on the arts desk of a national newspaper
• Experience of public speaking
Interested candidates should send a CV and three examples of their writing, along with a covering email explaining their suitability for the role and salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 14th June 2023.
About the Art Newspaper
The Art Newspaper is a multi-channel publisher of breaking news, insider perspectives, intelligent commentary, and in-depth analysis of the international art world.
Respected globally for its investigative journalism, independent thinking and unrivalled coverage of global art, The Art Newspaper is recognised as essential reading and vital connector for anyone interested in the art industry.
The Art Newspaper is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an equitable workforce and promoting qualified persons regardless of race, gender, colour, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.