About the job
The Production Editor is responsible for the management of all editorial processes and costs across print and digital channels, ensuring smooth running and quality-control at every stage. They plan and manage the entire production process, which includes hiring and supervising freelance designers and sub editors, booking printers, organising the production schedule, overseeing page layouts and ensuring that content adheres to house style. Responsibilities include:
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders to create annual production schedule/deadlines (incorporating monthly print publication and all special projects, such as regular series of daily editions at international art fairs, one-off magazines, Apps and website)
- Managing workflow and resource throughout all production periods
Print and digital production
- Liaising with commercial department to establish print pagination and flat plans and client needs
- Overseeing production team, including recruiting and booking freelancers when required
- managing production budget
- Liaising/troubleshooting with printers directly to ensure smooth production process
- Overseeing lay-out
- Creating, signing-off and sending print-ready PDFs to printers to deadline
- Uploading to CMS when required, including tagging and writing SEO-friendly headlines
- Overseeing remote working/production processes as required
- Liaising with printers, paper suppliers and distribution houses to schedule the printing and delivery of all print publications
- Regular reviews of suppliers, paper and other associated print and production costs
- Managing and monitoring editorial content and production costs
- Managing freelance bench (sub-editors/editor/picture researcher)
- Regularly updating, and ensuring adherence to house style
- Sub-editing for print and digital
- Demonstrable experience of print and digital production
- Excellent organisational, budgetary and time-management skills
- Familiarity with CMS
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flair for language and a meticulous eye for detail
- Good knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and in a team
- Willingness to undertake overtime (some travel may be required)
- An knowledge of art and the arts world is a distinct advantage
About The Art Newspaper
For 30 years, The Art Newspaper has been covering the world of art – and the world in which art happens. We bring you all the latest developments, but we also analyse the most significant events and trends, looking at how the international landscape of art and culture shapes – and is shaped – by politics, society, the economy, technology and the environment.
We serve an international audience, offering multi-channel access to breaking news, agenda-setting investigations and stimulating insights and opinion from around the globe.
With correspondents working in more than 30 countries, our expert, independent reporting makes us the most trusted resource for the art industry as well as for collectors, art advisers, policymakers, artists, museum professionals and those who enjoy visiting art fairs, gallery and museum shows. The Art Newspaper benefits from being part of an international network of titles with editorial offices in London, New York, Paris, Turin, Athens, Moscow and Shanghai.
This is a London-based position. Interested candidates should send a CV with covering email explaining your suitability for the role and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Art Newspaper is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an equitable workforce and promoting qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.