About the role
We are looking for an experienced Finance Manager who will support and lead the company’s finance function in the UK and USA (jointly with a local accounting firm) offices. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Finance Manager will maintain the group finance function and collaborate with the heads of departments to improve and maintain the company's financial performance. The role is full time and based in the London office.
Key responsibilities will include budget implementation, variance analysis, monthly management reporting, accounts payable, expenses, payroll, and cash flow management.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Year-end reporting – Ensure timely year-end closure and oversee the preparation of statutory accounts and tax returns
- Month-end reporting – Ensure timely month-end closure, including journals preparation and postings; Preparing monthly balance sheet reconciliations and ensuring the general ledger is accurate and reconciled
- Budgets and Forecasts - Prepare cash flow forecasts, annual budgets, and quarterly forecasts
- Accounts Payable/Receivable – Review accounts payable and receivable reports and take necessary actions to maintain the debtors/creditors’ days; Ensure a robust credit control system is in place
- Payroll & Pensions – Prepare payroll and staff payments; Prepare sales commissions; Submit FPS report and relevant year-end reports to HMRC; Submit pension reports and reconciliation of Pension control account
- Expense Management – Review staff expense claims and payment for freelancers: Review credit card reconciliation;
- VAT Returns - Review and submit quarterly VAT returns; Prepare IOSS VAT returns and submit through third-party service providers
- Annual R&D Tax claims - Liaise with third-party service providers and provide all relevant information for R&D tax claims
- Intercompany reconciliations – Reconcile commissions between group companies; maintain records of royalty/license payments
Essential requirements for the role
- Professionally part/fully qualified accountant (ACCA, CIMA) with experience in UK GAAP/ IFRS
- Minimum 3 years experience in a senior accountancy role
- Proficient user of Xero (or similar) finance software
- Good knowledge of business French language is a plus but not essential
- Well organised self-starter, with great attention to detail and good work ethics
- Experience of managing small teams
- Analytical mindset
- Good interpersonal, communication with a calm common-sense manner, to work harmoniously and effectively with others
What we offer
- Salary range £45,000 – 50,000 depending on qualifications and experience
- Knowledge base support from professional accounting firms both in the UK and USA
- BUPA Health insurance (subject to pre-existing conditions)
- Potential for flexible working
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
This is a full-time, London-based position. Interested candidates should send a CV with a covering email with “Finance Manager” in the subject line explaining your suitability for the role to email@example.com
The Art Newspaper is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an equitable workforce and promoting qualified persons regardless of race, gender, colour, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.
About The Art Newspaper
For more than 30 years, The Art Newspaper has been covering the world of art—and the world in which art happens. We write about all the latest developments, but also analyse the most significant events and trends, looking at how the international landscape of art and culture shapes—and is shaped—by politics, society, the economy, technology and the environment.
We serve an international audience, offering multi-channel access to breaking news, agenda-setting investigations and stimulating insights and opinion from around the globe.
With correspondents working in more than 30 countries, our expert, independent reporting makes us the most trusted resource for the art industry as well as for collectors, art advisers, policymakers, artists, museum professionals and those who enjoy visiting art fairs and exhibitions. The Art Newspaper benefits from being part of an international network of titles with editorial offices in London, New York, Paris, Turin, Athens, Moscow and Shanghai.