Digital Editions
Newsletters
Subscribe
Digital Editions
Newsletters
Art market
Museums & heritage
Exhibitions
Books
Podcasts
Columns
Art of Luxury
Adventures with Van Gogh
Art market
Museums & heritage
Exhibitions
Books
Podcasts
Columns
Art of Luxury
Adventures with Van Gogh
Frieze London 2023
news

Art world figures snub UK prime minister's party for Frieze anniversary

Artist Ryan Gander, Sarah McCrory, the director of Goldsmiths’ Centre for Contemporary Art and Chisenhale Gallery director Zoé Whitley all decided not to attend

Gareth Harris
13 October 2023
Share
According to a government statement, “the event demonstrated the government’s support for the visual arts as a key part of the success of the wider arts sector as a major contributor to the UK economy“

Photo: pcruciatti

According to a government statement, “the event demonstrated the government’s support for the visual arts as a key part of the success of the wider arts sector as a major contributor to the UK economy“

Photo: pcruciatti

A raft of high-profile figures from the arts and culture sector attended a reception at No. 10 Downing Street earlier this week, hosted by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, to mark the 20th anniversary of Frieze London. But not everyone accepted the invitation.

The artist Ryan Gander tells The Art Newspaper: “There is only one way out of broken Britain and that is to not entertain these idiots whatsoever.” Zoé Whitley, the director of the Chisenhale Gallery in London, also turned down the invitation.

Sarah McCrory, the director of Goldsmiths Centre for Contemporary Art in London, says: “I wouldn’t walk through the door of this government which has slashed funding to the arts and decimated arts and humanities in the school curricula… [their] destruction of public services and the NHS and their treatment of those struggling I find repulsive. Also, did everyone miss the PM’s transphobic speech at the Tory party conference? There’s no way I’d eat his hors d’oeuvres.”

According to a government statement, “the event demonstrated the government’s support for the visual arts as a key part of the success of the wider arts sector as a major contributor to the UK economy”. Art market leaders and representatives from art galleries and museums across the UK were in attendance, the government said.

Frieze London 2023Rishi SunakRyan Gander
Share
Subscribe to The Art Newspaper’s digital newsletter for your daily digest of essential news, views and analysis from the international art world delivered directly to your inbox.
Newsletter sign-up
Information
About
Contact
Cookie policy
Data protection
Privacy policy
Frequently Asked Questions
Subscription T&Cs
Terms and conditions
Advertise
Sister Papers
Sponsorship policy
Follow us
Instagram
Bluesky
LinkedIn
Facebook
TikTok
YouTube
© The Art Newspaper

Related content

Museumsnews
25 October 2021

England's culture sector to receive £850m in extra funding from Treasury

The budget, to be announced by Chancellor Rishi Sunak on Wednesday, has earmarked £300m for museums to "redevelop and refurbish their sites"

Gareth Harris
Politicsnews
9 August 2018

Petitions and protests as art world rallies to free imprisoned photographer Shahidul Alam

Kochi Biennale organisers condemn “state-sanctioned violence” while Indian artists pledge to “shame the Bangladeshi authorities”

Gareth Harris
Fundingnews
12 October 2020

First government grants for UK art spaces announced with £789,000 for London's ICA and £804,000 for Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Whitechapel, Whitworth, Mary Rose Trust and Photo London are also among the recipients for long-awaited Covid-19 rescue funds

Gareth Harris