The Victoria and Albert Museum’s new sculpture gallery will open on 23 March. Facing the south side of the recently redesigned garden, the long room lies beyond the museum’s main entrance. It will display sculpture from 1600 to 1900, either by British sculptors or acquired by British patrons. The galleries have been redesigned by Eva Jiricna, with the 1960s black linoleum floor stripped away to reveal fine mosaic tiling from 1881. The main funder, who is providing £1.5 million, is Dorothy and Michael Hintze. Mr Hintze, who was brought up in Australia and now lives in London, made his fortune from hedge trading and now runs CQS Management.