About The Art Newspaper
For more than 30 years, The Art Newspaper has been covering the world of art—and the world in which art happens. We write about all the latest developments, but also analyse the most significant events and trends, looking at how the international landscape of art and culture shapes—and is shaped—by politics, society, the economy, technology and the environment.
We serve an international audience, offering multi-channel access to breaking news, agenda-setting investigations and stimulating insights and opinion from around the globe.
With correspondents working in more than 30 countries, our expert, independent reporting makes us the most trusted resource for the art industry as well as for collectors, art advisers, policymakers, artists, museum professionals and those who enjoy visiting art fairs and exhibitions. The Art Newspaper benefits from being part of an international network of titles with editorial offices in London, New York, Paris, Turin, Moscow and Shanghai.
About the job: Senior Editor, Museums
The Senior Editor works closely with the Editor, Americas in New York and the Museums & Heritage Editor in London to coordinate and execute editorial coverage in print and online of stories about the museums and heritage sectors in the Americas and internationally. They maintain contacts with artists, museum spokespersons, curators, scholars, researchers and event organisers. They work with other areas of the business, notably the digital, fairs and partnership teams, on special projects.
The role comes with benefits (including a healthcare package) and an annual salary in the range of $65,000 to $70,000 depending on experience.
- Closely follow online art news, particularly related to museums, private foundations and exhibition spaces in the Americas and respond to breaking stories on developments in the art world with quick web stories.
- Edit staff and freelance contributions to web coverage of exhibitions, museum controversies and other art world developments.
- Write print previews of US-based exhibitions for the Exhibitions pages. Propose and write stories for US Museums and News pages.
- Assign and edit articles for the print edition’s Museums & Heritage pages. Identify and write incremental conservation stories for the web as well.
- Find and develop relationships with new freelance writers to contribute across all platforms
- Propose and execute ideas for US-based segments on The Art Newspaper’s podcasts, recording interviews in the field.
- Assist in spring and fall art auction coverage as needed.
- Plan, assign and edit special projects including fair dailies, regional focuses and investigative reports.
- Regularly meet with representatives of organisations in the nonprofit sector of the art world in the region.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of three years’ experience in an editorial position at a major cultural publication or on the arts desk of a national or regional newspaper
- Wide range of contacts in the visual arts world, particularly in the major markets of the Americas
- Knowledge of key institutions, individuals and dynamics in the non-profit art sector in the region
- Proactive approach, doesn’t wait to be asked but actively seeks and progresses opportunities as they arise
- Ability to work with key stakeholders across a wide range of different background and cultures
How to apply
This is a full-time, New York-based position. Interested candidates should send a CV with a covering email with “Senior Editor” in the subject line explaining your suitability for the role to email@example.com.
The Art Newspaper is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an equitable workforce and promoting qualified persons regardless of race, gender, colour, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.