Digital Editions
Newsletters
Subscribe
Digital Editions
Newsletters
Art market
Museums & heritage
Exhibitions
Books
Podcasts
Columns
Art of Luxury
Adventures with Van Gogh
Venice Biennale
Art market
Museums & heritage
Exhibitions
Books
Podcasts
Columns
Art of Luxury
Adventures with Van Gogh
Venice Biennale
Art theft
news

Four works by Renaissance master Antonello da Messina stolen from Sicily museum

The heist, which included several San Gregorio altarpiece panels, occurred on Saturday while the town was celebrating Assumption Day

Gareth Harris
17 August 2026
Share
The Madonna del Rosario was one of the three Polittico di San Gregorio panels stolen from the Museo Regionale di Messina

Photo: Sailko; Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

The Madonna del Rosario was one of the three Polittico di San Gregorio panels stolen from the Museo Regionale di Messina

Photo: Sailko; Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Four works by the Renaissance master Antonello da Messina were stolen from the Museo Regionale di Messina in the artist’s hometown in Sicily on 15 August. Messina’s Mayor, Federico Basile, told Reuters that the thieves ​entered the Museo Regionale di Messina late on Saturday during Assumption Day celebrations, including the traditional Vara procession.

The thieves stole five wooden panels that made up a famous altarpiece known as Polittico di San Gregorio (1473) but abandoned two panels outside the museum. Finistre sull'Arte reports that the two panels left behind were those depicting St Benedict and St Gregory.

The altarpiece, originally made up of six panels, was made for a local monastery, the Monastero di San Gregorio, which was destroyed in an earthquake in 1908. The remaining panels were subsequently housed at the museum.

The panels of the two saints were reportedly left behind outside the museum

Photo: Derbrauni; Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

The robbers also stole a ​small, double-sided painting—depicting the​ Virgin with Child and ⁠a Franciscan monk on one side, and Christ on the other—from a secure display case. The work was part of the Wilhelm Soldan collection which was sold by Christie's to the Sicilian Region in ​2003.

According to the Sicilian newspaper Gazzetta del Sud, when the thieves smashed the display cases to steal the paintings, the alarm system was immediately activated. Footage from the museum's video surveillance system shows that the gang of thieves operated within “a period of between two and three minutes”, adds the report.

The purchase of a ⁠Messina work by the Italian state for $15m earlier this year boosted the artist’s profile. In February, the Italian government bought Ecce Homo and Saint Jerome in the Desert (around 1430–79) from Sotheby’s before it went under the hammer in New York.

Christopher Marinello, the founder of Art Recovery International, tells The Art Newspaper that “the sale at Sotheby's certainly set off some alarm bells in the small minds of the thieves. However, I do not believe that these criminals are local. No one, not even the most hardened mafioso, would desecrate their own town in this way.”

“This theft has an eerie similarity to the 1990 Isabella Stewart Gardner heist,” he adds, referencing the unsolved Boston burglary on the night of St. Patrick's Day. “The criminals knew that everyone would be focused on the Festa della Vara.”

Marisa Mercurio, the museum director, told Sky TG24: "These are not merely works by Antonello da Messina. They are works that hold considerable significance in terms of our identity, as well as, of course, their artistic and cultural value, because they are works by our very own Antonello da Messina." The Italian culture minister, Alessandro Giuli, also expressed “dismay and regret [regarding] the theft” in a government statement on Sunday.

The National Gallery in London has five Messina works in its collection including Portrait of a Man (around 1475-76). Its website states that he “was the main early Renaissance painter of southern Italy”, was likely trained in Naples and painted an influential altarpiece for the church of San Cassiano in Venice.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

Art theftAntonello da MessinaSicilyRenaissance artMuseum theft
Share
Subscribe to The Art Newspaper’s digital newsletter for your daily digest of essential news, views and analysis from the international art world delivered directly to your inbox.
Newsletter subscribe
Information
About
Contact
Cookie policy
Data protection
Privacy policy
Frequently Asked Questions
Subscription T&Cs
Terms and conditions
Advertise
Sister Papers
Sponsorship policy
Follow us
Instagram
Bluesky
LinkedIn
Facebook
TikTok
YouTube
© The Art Newspaper

Related content

Rotterdamarchive
1 November 2012

Thieves foil high-tech security at Kunsthal Rotterdam

Seven works were stolen as unmanned overnight protection fails

Martin Bailey
Jan van Eyckarchive
31 August 1995

Seeking out Van Eyck's "The Just Judges" altarpiece

Next month the Belgian city of Ghent is mounting a high-tech search for a panel of Van Eyck's masterpiece missing since 1934

Martin Bailey
Victoria & Albert Museumarchive
1 January 1992

Miniature altar destroyed by thieves at the V&A

Grab and smash operation on 11 November

The Art Newspaper
Art crimenews
17 March 2025

Member of museum theft ring sentenced to eight years in prison for stealing Warhol and Pollock works

Thomas Trotta was part of a theft ring that nabbed a variety of items, including sports memorabilia and gold nuggets, from museums on the East Coast of the US over two decades

Elena Goukassian