Woodcuts and woodcarvings by the Expressionist group “Die Brücke” are on display at the Tate Gallery, Liverpool, until 27 January. The exhibition, “Out of the Wood”, brings together forty-nine prints and sculptures borrowed from British and overseas collections. The works, dating from 1905 to 1924, are all by members of the “Die Brücke” group: Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Erich Heckel, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, Max Pechstein and Emil Nolde.
“Die Brücke” (“The Bridge”) was formed in Dresden in 1905 for the promotion and prosperity of its members. It lasted eight years. Apart from the artists, “passive members” were enrolled and sent membership cards and annual reports, as well as portfolios of prints in return for their subscriptions. Penelope Curtis, the exhibition organiser, has written the accompanying, fully illustrated catalogue.
The aim of the “New Light on Sculpture” exhibition, on until 8 February, is to draw attention to the physical environment in which sculptures are displayed. The space around sculptures, the colour and texture of bases, background tones and the direction and intensity of lighting, are all factors which affect our perception of them. The exhibition includes works by Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, Naum Gabo, Anthony Caro, Ron Haselden and Andrew Sabin. The sculptures are from the gallery’s own collection but are being shown here in a “new light”.
New works by Richard Long will be shown from 23 January to 3 March. The exhibition is the first to be specifically designed by an artist for one of the gallery’s rooms. There will be landscape walks recorded as maps, texts and photographs of sculptures made along the way; sculptures created by arranging natural materials, usually stone or wood and mud works made on walls or floors using watery solutions of river mud or clay.
Originally appeared in The Art Newspaper as 'Out of the wood and into the light for a landscape walk'