The refurbished Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Rome, built in 1883, is set to re-open this month with the first monographic exhibition of work by Mark Rothko in Italy since 1970 (6 October-6 January 2008). The artist’s children, Christopher Rothko and Kate Rothko Prizel, have loaned several works to the 70-painting show. The Palazzo re-opens its doors following a four-year E28m ($38.9m) renovation funded by the City of Rome. Italian architects Firouz Galdo and Michele De Lucchi have converted the restaurant on the first floor of the 12,000 sq. m three-storey building into a new exhibition space and added a cinema and bookstore. Two other exhibitions devoted to the work of the US film-maker Stanley Kubrick (6 October-6 January 2008) and Italian sculptor Mario Ceroli (6 October-2 December) mark the re-opening. The building was designed by the Italian architect Pio Piacentini.
Originally appeared in The Art Newspaper as 'Rothko in Rome'